A Community Control Project for Seniors
Location: New York City, New York
The United Hospital Fund (The Fund) is a New York-based nonprofit research and philanthropic organization devoted to improving healthcare for the people of New York City, particularly its underserved residents. This project sought to reach seniors diagnosed with diabetes within underserved neighborhood and link them to care to improve diabetes self-management and quality of life. Senior participants took part in weekly self-management education, support groups, individual coaching, cooking and nutrition classes, and social events for seniors with diabetes. By bringing together and drawing on the strengths of medical providers, community organizations, senior organizations, and seniors themselves, the Fund’s Together on Diabetes project provides a unique model of diabetes care for seniors that has been effective in engaging seniors in controlling their diabetes.
• Timely adjustment of recruitment strategies.
• Strategic engagement with key agencies to minimize policy barriers to participation.
• Establishing effective outreach and referral relationships with the right partners.
• Strategic marketing of services.
• Attracting third party payers with evidence of success.